Taube, die draußen blieb

Von den frühen Prager Gedichten über Cornet, Neue Gedichte, Sonette und Elegien bis zum lyrischen Grabspruch

Moderatoren: Thilo, stilz

Antworten
Rilke Fan

Taube, die draußen blieb

Beitrag von Rilke Fan »

Hallo everyone!

I have a couple of questions regarding the following poem. First of all, the word "Taube" is listed in the dictionary as both "dove" and "pigeon," so how do you differentiate between the two? How do you know which one it means? Personally, I think dove sounds more poetic, but I think he was probably speaking of the "homing pigeon."

And secondly, how would you translate the word "Nirgendssein?" It's not in any of my German-English dictionaries. Is this another Rilke creation?

Also, is "in Kreis und Haus" an expression (does it have any special meaning?)

Taube, die draußen blieb

Taube, die draußen blieb, außer dem Taubenschlag,
wieder in Kreis und Haus, einig der Nacht, dem Tag,
weiß sie die Heimlichkeit, wenn sich der Einbezug
fremdester Schrecken schmiegt in den gefühlten Flug.

Unter den Tauben, die allergeschonteste,
niemals gefährdeste, kennt nich die Zärtlichkeit;
wiedererholtes Herz ist das bewohnteste:
freier durch Widerruf freut sich die Fähigkeit.

Über dem Nirgendssein spannt sich das Überall!
Ach der geworfene, ach der gewagte Ball,
Füllt er die Hände nicht anders mit Wiederkehr:
rein um sein Heimgewicht ist er mehr.

Hoping to hear from someone soon! :lol:

Viele Grüße,

Linda
Marie

Beitrag von Marie »

Hi Linda,

in German you just say „Taube“. If we think of a special pigeon we call it “Brieftaube”, “Friedenstaube” (the white dove as a symbol for peace), “Ringeltaube” or whatever. Rilke certainly meant the homing pigeon but this special one that stayed outside becomes also a symbol for anyone who found peace in his heart (“wiedererholtes Herz”) after he had taken the risk to do something new. Do you know Richard Bach’s “Jonathan Livingston Seagull”? This beautiful little book also is about that one-out-of-a-million-birds who dared to think and live differently. Maybe Bach read Rilke’s poem?!

“Nirgendssein”: You won’t find it as a noun in the dictionary and in English you generally avoid making nouns out of terms you can express with a verb. In a philosophical view “Nirgendssein” (to be nowhere) can be the same as “Überall” (everywhere), because it depends on a persons awareness whether to see it this way or the other. If life offers an experience concerning eternity it can be a feeling of being lost (“Nirgendssein”), but as well there is a chance to become one with it all and to go beyond the walls of individualistic perception.

“Kreis und Haus” doesn’t seem to be a common expression as far as I know. “Kreis” probably increases the “closed” sense of house. Rilke once mentioned the expression “in einen bösen Kreis eingezaubert sein” (to be magically banned in a vicious circle). So it’s a very respectable thing if one was able to leave this circle and comes back distributing a new meaning to it (for oneself and for all the others).

I’m soon (???) back with the new topic…hopefully…maybe…soon (during this life at least!)

Liebe Grüße M.
:lol:
Rilke Fan

Beitrag von Rilke Fan »

Thanks Marie,

That was very helpful. One last question - is Nirgendssein a word you have heard used outside of Rilke's poetry?

Today I listened to the first five Duino Elegies on cassette while walking (translated into English by Stephen Mitchell), and they are so awesome! Of course, it was too much to digest at one time. I will need to sit down and read them in order to fully savor them.

I'm looking forward to your new posting.

Liebe Grüße,

Linda
Marie

Beitrag von Marie »

Hi Linda,

no, you would never use it as a noun usually, neither "Überall"; "überall" is just the same as everywhere, but as a noun it expresses something new and impressive. It probably means the universe/ space in a spiritual context. "Weltall" sounds more scientific so "Überall" emphasizes a contrasting quality.

Liebe Grüße M.

P.S.: I was glad to read that you enjoyed listening to the Elegies. But it's true, you have to read them again and again to discover all the hidden beauty in it!!
Antworten