Das Testament

Monographie Worpswede, Monographie Rodin, Briefe über Cézanne, Briefe an einen jungen Dichter, Brief eines jungen Arbeiters, Rezensionen, Aufsätze, Essays

Moderatoren: Thilo, stilz

Antworten
Marie

Das Testament

Beitrag von Marie »

Hallo,

ich habe gerade im Nachlass im "Testament" gelesen (nicht Rilkes "richtiges" Testament von 1925, sondern das, das er auf Schloss Berg 1920/21 verfasst hat). Es schließt mit einem Briefentwurf. Weiß irgendjemand an wen dieser Brief gerichtet war? Ich dachte zuerst an Baladine, da er aber über "B..." (und ich vermute das soll Baladine heißen) schreibt, ist der Brief womöglich an eine andere Person gerichtet, oder?
Vielleicht kann mir jemand von euch weiterhelfen (wenn ihr wieder aus dem Sommerloch aufgetaucht seid?!)

Liebe Grüße an alle :D
Rilke Fan

Beitrag von Rilke Fan »

Hi Marie,

Welcome back!

It's so strange that you should mention this poem, because I just read about it a few days ago, and I've been wanting to read it, but I haven't been able to find it so far. However, I know from Freedman's biography that it is an autobiographical poem which gives an account of Rilke's relationship with Baladine Klossowska (Merline). Apparently he was experiencing intense anguish over the self-imposed exile from his lover (Baladine), and these meditations were his attempt to justify his intense need for solitude. He didn't give her a copy until years later. You can read about it in Freedman's biography on page 469 (The page numbering may be different in the German book, but it's probably close to the same). Which book did you find this poem in? I am really anxious to read it.

I just finished reading both of Rilke's biographies (Freedman and Leppmann), and today I finally finished typing a short 46-page biography of Rilke using these two books. As I read Rilke's poems, I often wonder what was going on in his life at the time and who he was involved with. This short biography should help me to answer these questions from now own. It has been very time consuming, but I believe it will be well worth the effort.

Hope you had a nice vacation.

Take care,

Linda
Marie

Beitrag von Marie »

Hi Linda,

I was already worried, because I didn't find a contribution from you when I came back home!
We had a nice vacation even though it was much too hot.
"Das Testament" is published in the "Nachlass". I've got a 6 vol. special edition of the Insel-Verlag which isn't the complete one. I'm sure you will find it in one of your poem collections.
I read what Freedman wrote about "Das Testament" and I was pretty sure that the person to whom the letter was adressed was Baladine. I only was confused about the "B..." he talked about. It's somehow strange to write a letter to a woman and mention her in it like she would be another person?

I'm very glad to continue our exchange of thoughts about Rilke. Still no sign of life from Volker? I wonder how long he will be away?

Liebe Grüße :D
Rilke Fan

Beitrag von Rilke Fan »

Hi Marie,

I hadn't posted anything because I had been so busy with the biographies. It took much longer to read them than I had anticipated. I spent days doing nothing but reading them, and even so, it took weeks. I do have several questions after reading them that I wanted to ask you, but I don't know where I put the list I was keeping for when you got back. The only thing that I can think of right now is that I was wondering about the picture entitled "Death Mask" in Freedman's biography on page 371. I didn't find anything in the biography about it. Do you know anything about this? Also, I was hoping to find a biography about Ruth Sieber-Rilke, but so far I've come up empty-handed. Also, I have looked through all of my books and haven't come across "Das Testament." I have "Sämtliche Werke, Band II" and "RMR: Die Gedichte" both by Insel Verlag, but I didn't find it in either. I'm thinking maybe there must be a prose volume which I don't have that it is in perhaps. I searched for it extensively on the internet, but found nothing. I did read somewhere that it wasn't published unti 1974. Which volume of the set did you find it in?

My whole life has been nothing but Rilke the past weeks, almost obsessively. When I got to the end of each of the books with Rilke's last days and death, it was almost too overwhelming. I would lay in bed at night thinking about it and feeling sad. I really must break away from this all for a while, but it's so difficult, and right now I'm still in the process of editing the biography I put together. I haven't begun reading any of Rilke's letters yet, but that's next on my list.

Sorry, I didn't intend to make this so long, but you know how long-winded I am!

Take care,

Linda

P.S. I haven't forgotten about the French poems, and I promise to try to finish them soon! Also, no word from Volker. Isn't he due back some time in August?
Marie

Beitrag von Marie »

Hi Linda,

I have immense problems with my computer at the moment. It’s impossible to write an answer right at the forum. I can only compose texts at word and copy them afterwards into the forum – and even this is difficult enough!
I haven’t looked up the “Death Mask” yet and I don’t know much about R. Sieber-Rilke except that she committed suicide together with her second husband, because they both suffered from deadly diseases (in the early 70th, I believe). You probably don’t have the volume with the “Nachlass”?! In my edition it’s vol. 6, including prose poems and texts for example “Auguste Rodin” and “Aus dem Traum-Buch”.

Maybe you should really take some time to recover from your work with Rilke literature! “Das Testament” makes it easy to understand Rilke’s struggling for freedom! To be “obsessively” occupied with him and his poems somehow still cuts his freedom and keeps him a prisoner. I can almost see these shackles around him from all those people who cling to him like drowning people trying to hold on to that single man who just discovered his ability to swim. But how could someone free others as long as he is caught in ropes of emotions? I’m not sure how to find the right words for what I’m feeling about this… It’s just that sad feeling that he still is captured by the needs of others and that there isn’t a solution for this tragedy.

I better finish this now!
Take care, too!
:roll:
Rilke Fan

Beitrag von Rilke Fan »

Hi Marie,

If you happen to come across any information on the “death mask,” I would appreciate it. Otherwise, I will probably try posting it as a separate topic in hopes that perhaps someone will answer my question, although up until now I haven’t had much luck in getting other people in the forum to respond.

Also, I know that our beliefs are very different as far as the after-life goes, but as for myself, I honestly don’t believe that it is possible for anything that I say or do, think or feel, to affect Rilke in any way or to be a burden to him. I also don’t believe that anyone else’s needs can keep him in shackles or in prison. I believe that he is now finally at rest – no longer bound by the troubles of our world. If anything, he may perhaps be an observer but not an active participant. At any rate, even if it were possible for these things to affect him, what I think and feel about Rilke and his poetry is not something that would in any way be burdensome to him, even if he were among the living. What I feel for Rilke is simply a desire to discover all that there is to be discovered in the wonderful gift of words that he left behind for all of us. If I sometimes feel overwhelmed in regards to Rilke, it is only because his works are so vast and extensive. There is so much yet to be discovered, and the fact that it is in a foreign language doesn’t make it very easy for me. Still, I can’t tell you how thankful I am that I had the good fortune of discovering his works. I also can’t tell you the excitement that so often wells up inside me when I read his words. I hope I didn’t hurt your feelings with anything I said, because that was certainly not my intention. It’s just that I think it is a shame to feel that someone’s interest in (or even obsession with) Rilke and his works could in any way affect him in a negative way.

Take care,

Linda
Marie

Beitrag von Marie »

Hi Linda,

sorry, but I couldn’t find any picture in Freedman’s biography titled “Death Mask”. The last three pictures in vol. II show Rilke in Sierre, his grave and a statue by Fritz Huf – maybe that’s the one you mean?!?

What I wrote before about Rilke being shackled by the emotions, expectations and needs of others was just meant in general. I sometimes write like talking to myself and not to or about anybody else. Nevertheless, reincarnation to me is a fact like it was to Rilke, too. His poems are full of beauty and inspiration, no matter if someone wants to take notice of his opinion about Christianity in the later years or his mystical beliefs or not. Also, I indeed believe that thoughts are very powerful and can affect others in a negative way as much as a prayer can do the same in a positive way (and I don’t feel ashamed for this conviction which – in both ways – is my own experience). And even if thoughts of whoever possibly affected him, it isn’t really a fault to judge or to get into self-justification – it’s just human nature to hold on to s.th. proved to be good for us or to remain emotional relations that give as an illusion of safety. But it’s not the way to reach eternal love and fortune. Rilke knew this from the depth of his heart. He struggled for the experience of true love in every relation without loosing this heart-freedom, but he finally resigned and hoped the death would bring the release he searched for so desperately. “Wohnen in den Umarmungen kann nur der, der auch in ihnen sterben darf;” – that’s what made me so sad: to know what the solution to a problem is without getting the chance to achieve it is the hardest thing to experience, much harder than being unconscious about the greater meanings of life.
I have no idea how many people he was related to in his former life are still trying to hold on to him and it’s not my concern. Yesterday I wrote under “Rose” half joking that I would like to have big pair of scissors to cut him free from all his shackles. Of course, that’s very inconsistent, because as long as I feel the need (!) to help him I’m as well holding on and don’t really trust in the great wisdom of his soul who has chosen the perfect (even if tragic) conditions for its very individual way of the final experience of unity.

A last word concerning the “observer”: I don’t think the soul as a whole is “locked up” in a body, so in my belief we are always observers AND participants throughout all incarnations. In a way, we are human individuals and our own guardian angles at the same time – which gives me some comfort when everything gets too confusing, because I know that the greater part of me still has got the plan of how the way should be continued!

Viele liebe Grüße
:D
Antworten