“Solang du Selbstgeworfnes fängst"

Hier könnt Ihr nach Übersetzungen spezieller Rilke-Texte in fremde Sprachen fragen

Moderatoren: Thilo, stilz

Gast

Beitrag von Gast »

Marie hat geschrieben:Hi Linda,

I’m adding some more thoughts and explanations to what Volker has written (which probably was already helpful to you).

- Sorry, I wrote s.th. in German above about the “ewige Mit-Spielerin”. Usually the word is written in one (“Mitspielerin”). In a philosophic or poetic context the division of a word is a method to point out a different meaning from the daily use of it. It emphasizes the term and increases the awareness of a more comprehensive understanding. If you choose “team-mate”, will this style of writing have the same effect in English?

- “aus Gottes großem Brücken-Bau” (= again this method to attract attention and elevate the word out of its common usage) Sometimes only another person is able to “throw” impulses your soul (“deiner Mitte” as a metaphor for soul) needs to get a step further. Often one avoids to look at parts of its own inner world and continuously prefers the secure way (to catch “Selbstgeworfnes”) without taking a risk. Than “God” is building “bridges”: s.b. else appears to make sure that what ever is necessary achieves the inner goal (Am I to complicated with my pictures and explanations?): the “Mit-Spielerin” appears (this stupid, annoying, naughty and useless idiot who attacks our perfect world – that’s our view as long as we refuse to “catch the ball”).

- “wie das Jahr die Vögel wirft” sounds strange in German as well! It’s a metaphor similar to “Brücken-Bau”. If the one who has caught the ball will be able to throw it back it’s a powerful way of showing that he accepts the gamee. Skillfulness isn’t the matter, nor “Kraft und Mut” –even an “older (and weaker) warmth” can do this – it’s the attitude towards the life-game that makes all the difference!

- “clever” seems to me to be the more common version. I’m not sure if it fits here – I have to leave it up to the native speaker.

- The meaning of “Selbst” (= (your)self) in “Selbstgeworfnes” is underlined, I guess, because it already refers to “Mit-Spielerin” as an alternating point of view. If you “throw” and “catch” s.th. YOURSELF it’s all under your OWN control and that is “lässlicher Gewinn”. The contrast to that is to trust into the wisdom of “God’s great bridge-building” and to catch the ball ANOTHER person has thrown without knowing, planning or controlling what might happen then.

It was a little difficult for me to enlighten those complicated aspects in English. I hope you will figure out what I struggled to say?!? :?

Thanks, I’m well again!

Liebe Grüße M.
Antworten