Stefan Zweig Farewell to Rilke - translation

Lou Andreas-Salomé, Clara Westhoff, Marie von Thurn und Taxis, Ellen Key, Baladine Klossowska, Leonid Pasternak, Anton Kippenberg, ...

Moderatoren: Thilo, stilz

Antworten
Thierry

Stefan Zweig Farewell to Rilke - translation

Beitrag von Thierry »

Halo,

In order to make a quote in a speech in English, I am looking for a good litterary translation of the following sentence about Rilke written by Stefan Zweig, extract from Abschied von Rilke:

"einzig in ihm von uns allen war das Wort schon vollkommen Musik."

The text is splendid, I can tell at least from the French translation. This is why I am looking for a literary translation, respecting the style.

This text is the end of the second sentence of the second paragraph of the Abschied, which says in full:
"Denn einzig Musik vermöchte vollkommen den Abschied von jenem auszusagen, den wir heute gemeinsam betrauern, Rainer Maria Rilke, und einzig in ihm von uns allen war das Wort schon vollkommen Musik."
This is from Stefan Zweig, Abschied von Rilke, Eine Rede,
Rainer Wunderlich Verlag, Tübingen, 1928.

For example if someone has it on the forum, I am thinking of the following English edition: Farewell to Rilke, Stefan Zweig translated and afterword by Marion Sonnenfeld ; Fredonia, N.Y. ; Friends of the Daniel Reed Library, State University College, 1975
I am not going to obtain this book just for one sentence.

Thanks for your kind help
helle

Re: Stefan Zweig Farewell to Rilke - translation

Beitrag von helle »

»For music alone can give perfect expression to our leavetaking from him whom we are mourning together this day, Rainer Maria Rilke, and, of all of us, it was only in him that the mere word was already perfect music.« (translation M. Sonnenfeld)
Thierry

Re: Stefan Zweig Farewell to Rilke - translation

Beitrag von Thierry »

Dean Helle,
Fantastique, great ! Very nice translation.
I knew this was the forum!
Many thanks, Helle

Thierry
Antworten